Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Why You Need a Personal Trainer

You don't need to be rich to have a personal trainer. Sure, training can be expensive but it's a lot cheaper than paying the medical bill for gastric bypass surgery.

I'm an AFAA certified personal trainer. Yes, I am. It's something I've wanted to do for while because I like telling people what to do and I believe that people need to take their fitness seriously. 

My first personal training job was at Equinox in New York City  - America's most high end gym. The membership is $150 a month for the cheapest option, and the facility is totally luxurious. The average member makes about 100K a year or more.  You would think that people who have achieved such high social status would take better care of themselves, but as a matter of fact the majority of the people I encountered LOOKED LIKE SHIT.


No really, more often than not my prospective clients could barely use their body.  I put them through a sort of fitness test where there had to complete basic movements like push ups and squats. Most of them struggled to do a few reps (there was a lot of laughing/crying on the inside on my behalf.)

Most people who go to Equinox are a little bit older- 40's and 50's crowd- and the recurring theme seemed to be people who didn't workout in their teens and 20's trying to catch up for a lifetime of being out of shape and people who didn't know what they were doing at the gym, never seeing results, and getting injured.

It's a million times easier to maintain your current fitness level than it is to get back in shape after neglecting and abusing your body for years.  Contrary to popular belief, humans are designed to get stronger as we age. There's no need to use a wheel chair or cane when you get older if you take of yourself now by eating right and exercising.


I don't know about you, but I don't want to be that old woman in the nursing home with multiple diseases and chronic injuries getting my ass wiped by a stranger. 

                                                     





(he's 58 and she's 62 and they're both on point!)     







  I encountered so many middle aged people telling me about their glory days in high school playing sports and dancing and how in shape and cute they were and how they wished they never lost it.  

Most of the clients I work with to this day are people trying to get in shape for the first time, who tried on their own and haven't seen results because they weren't doing things right - and it's not easy for any of them, but the ones under 25 are doing a hell of a lot better and seeing their results more quickly than my 30 and older group.


So to tie everything together, if you haven't worked out before, or you have been working out and haven't seen results, or if you need motivation, or guidance, or just need to switch up your routine you should absofuckinglutely hire a trainer. Just suck it up, pay for a few sessions, make an investment in your body and learn how to do things the right way  so you don't get injured and end up spending 3 nights a week in physical therapy for the next 8 months.

Treat yourself, treat your body right, don't wind up being that rich bitch in Equinox who looks like shit and gets winded from walking up a single flight of stairs.


 XoXo, 

 AminaZena


For workout videos and tips visit my YouTube Channel 
Follow me on Twitter 
Like me on Facebook 
Or for any business inquiries (including personal training) e-mail me aminazena@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment