Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Do Group Exercise Classes Work?

So you want to know if the classes at the gym are helping your ass reach your fitness goal, lose weight, whatever. Well, the short answer to that question is maybe.

I fucking love classes, and I’m a big advocate for them. I’ve taught Spinning, Zumba, and abs and it’s always a good time. They provide that extra bit of motivation, and are a fun way to workout (or show off if you’re a competitive bitch like me) but a more solid answer would be that classes alone cannot get you to your goal.

Some classes at the gym do progress throughout time, but in my experience they generally don’t. Classes can help you at first and if you’ve never worked out before you will see changes in your body. But in order to continually see results and avoid hitting a plateau you have to switch it up and keep progressing your exercise routine or else your body becomes too used it and gets lazy  - kinda like people who get too comfortable in relationships and let themselves go - but that’s a different topic for a different day.  


(That's me teaching Zumba)


When I first started teaching Spinning in college I lost mad weight, but then after a while of doing the same things over and over again I noticed I was gaining weight. I was teaching Spinning then teaching Zumba right afterwards; 2 hours of intense cardio and I was gaining weight. The same thing happened to me when I ran cross country in high school, my body got used to running 6,7,8 miles so that’s what it needed in order just to maintain! That’s what happens when you only do cardio and don’t incorporate strength training. 

Best believe you’re not gonna catch my ass running 8 miles everyday just to maintain.

Which brings me to my second point- most classes are cardio based - classes are good on the days when you’re not lifting weights or doing strength training, but even those total body conditioning classes cannot help you get to the next level, they will only help you stay at your current fitness level. Same goes for yoga, Pilates and abs - you can’t do the same things over and over again and expect different results -that’s just fucking stupid. 

Class instructors cannot monitor your form to see if you’re doing it right either. Jumping around and giving instructions with a big smile on your in front of a huge room full of people while sweating your ass off isn’t exactly the easiest thing to do - there’s no way the instructor is looking to see if your form is right the entire time. Bad form= bad results and injury, so you if you don’t know what you’re doing ask the instructor before or after class and start with the beginner programs.

So overall, classes are fun, they are a good way to get good exercise. They help you stay in shape, but if you want to get to the next level in terms of the way you look or what your body can do you gotta go a little harder, be a little more concise and workout with a purpose. Being sexy ain’t easy people. Believe me, I know. 

That’s all. Later Bitches. 

XoXo,
 AminaZena

No comments:

Post a Comment