Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

A Friday Night in Manhattan.

I'm starting this post on Friday March 28th at 11:30pm. I'm writing this post in my ridiculously comfortable memory foam bed. And ya know what? I had a great day so I thought I would share it, because sharing is good and I haven't made a blog post in forevs. I'm half white, I can get away with saying the word forevs.

Considering this post is entitled A Friday Night in Manhattan I'll go ahead and jump to 5pm today. Although my morning was fantastic (I trained a few clients and taught a Zumba class and aSculpting class) I'm only going to give you details of my evening.

5pm I get on the Subway and head to the Lower East Side.

5:48pm I get to Essex Street to teach Zumba to kids at an Elementary School. I work with a non profit organization that promotes wellness in the schools from time to time so that's what I did. It was so much fun, I mean how can you not love kids? Kids are so excited and appreciative of the little things in life,they're like a breath of fresh air, well at least from time to time. I can't imagine having kids right now, I'm only 24, I got a few solid years left ....

7pm Today was the first day in NYC that the weather was above 50 degrees so I decided to go for a walk in the East Village after Zumba. I came across the comedy spot that I've been wanting to check out for months so I stayed and watched some amateur stand up, it was free and hilarious, and I seriously commend anyone who has ever gotten on stage and attempted comedy. After taking improv classes I truly believe that comedy is an art form and being funny isn't easy, it takes a lot of balls.

8pmish I continue my walk around the village, not looking to do anything in particular but I definitely didn't want to go home. I stop into a deli and grab some sort of Vegan cleansing juice, and on my way out I ran into a childhood friend. Considering that I grew up in West Virginia this is super random and awesome. We literally we went to school from elementary all the way through high school, she was one of the cool kids, we ran cross country together during senior year. We caught up for a few minutes, then her friend asked me where I lived so I told her that I lived in Harlem.

And I always get the same sort of "ohhh" response. It's terrible that I feel that I need to explain to people why I live in Harlem, but my apartment is really big and nice and hella cheap and it's a one bedroom. It may not be the nicest neighborhood in town, or the safest, or the cleanest but Harlem has swag, and I'm pretty sure I get some street cred points for living up here.

9pmish After running into my friend I saw a pretty blue sign that said "$10 basic palm readings." That's right, I went to a physic. And although I don't believe that anyone can predict the future I do believe that are some people with a special hyper intuition that can teach you about yourself and solve problems. She told me I'm impatient and sometimes too honest for my own good, she hit the nail on the head with that one. I thought the reading was a little on the short side, it was only about 3 minutes but it's all good. I've been to 2 readings in the past, I never got sucked into paying more than $10 but I've always found it to be money well spent.

9:20pmish I stumble into a restaurant that only serves chicken nuggets, like really good grassfed chicken nuggets. Do I need to elaborate further. I basically had sex in my mouth. After leaving nugget heaven I came across the Trader Joe's wine store. The only place in town that you can get a decent bottle of wine for $3 and I'm seldom in the area so every time I go I pick up 3-4 bottles invite my friends over for wine night. Why not. I picked up 3 bottles for $12, and my cashier guessed I was 23 years old, that's pretty much 2 years younger than I am. Score.

10:00pm ish I get home to Harlem and wash dishes and marinate some tuna steaks for tomorrow. I was actually supposed to go on a date tonight but I gave him a raincheck, he's hot but his personality is kinda stale so I'll probably never actually go out with him. Dating in NYC can be a living hell or a great way to save money on food depending on how you look at it.

12:04pm and now I'm here finishing up my post, in my bed,finally being in the moment of this whole writing process and all I can think about is how funny life is. How I have to be up at 8:15am tomorrow so I can teach classes and train people. How hopefully I can convince my friends to go out tomorrow because it's been forever and I just need a drink a little rachetness. About all the stuff I didn't share in this post and how much fun my life is when I actually put it into perspective. About those hazel eyes. And on that...goodnight.

XoXo

-AminaZena

Instagram
YouTube
Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment